Quietness is built for absolute beginners and people who have little spare time during the day to dedicate to lengthy meditation sessions. Its aim is to build a healthy habit for better mental wellness, leading to a more relaxed and less stressful life, while keeping the process as simple as possible.
This article will help you get started by answering a series of frequently asked questions so that you can make the most out of your Quietness time.
Frequently Asked Questions
- I have never meditated before. Where do I start?
- What is a breathing exercise?
- What is a meditation program?
- How is a meditation program different than, say, a meditation video I can find online?
- How often should I meditate?
- How can the habit tracker help me with my practice?
- Can I use Quietness alongside other meditation apps, such as Headspace and Calm?
- What is Quietness Premium?
- I need help with the app. How do I get in touch?
- I have some feedback about the app. How can I send it over?
I have never meditated before. Where do I start?
The first thing you will notice after signing in to the Quietness service is that you have two main options to choose from:
- Breathe Now
- Start Meditation
We recommend that you try a breathing exercise if you have never meditated before. This is a fairly short exercise that you can do anytime.
Just find a place where you won’t be disturbed for around 5 minutes and wear your headphones / earphones. Then, tap the “Play” button on the bottom right of the “Breathing” screen and follow the virtual instructor’s guidance prompts.
At the end of the exercise you can rate your experience for future reference.
What is a breathing exercise?
A breathing exercise is a simple relaxation technique where you focus your attention on regulating your breath with an aim to achieve a quick reduction in your stress levels.
You can find out more about the benefit of breathing techniques for stress relief on this WebMD article, which also has some exercises you can do on your own.
Quietness allows you to personalise the duration breathing exercise to better fit in your daily schedule. Tapping on the bottom left icon in the “Breathing” screen, you can in fact modify the following characteristics:
- Pace – This determines how much “space” the instructor will give you between prompts. A slow pace is more suitable for advanced users, while a quick pace is ideal for a quick “grounding” session in the middle of a busy day.
- Length – This affects the overall length of the breathing exercise. You can choose to have a longer session if you have more time or after a few weeks of practice, or do a quick exercise briefly, let’s say before an important meeting.
- Play / Skip Introduction – You can choose to skip the introduction to the breathing exercise if you are ready and want to get straight into it, for instance to “top-up” a recently completed meditation session.
What is a meditation program?
A meditation program is a set of meditation sessions with a specific theme. The virtual assistant built into the Quietness app ensures each session within the program is unique, providing slightly different prompts every time and proposing different visualisation details between sessions (normally around the central – or core – section of the meditation).
For example, if you were practicing the “Into the forest” visualisation program, on the first session you might be guided to visualise a deer going about her daily life. The next time you practice, a pair of squirrels might be proposed instead, and so on.
This is to ensure the experience does not feel stale or boring and therefore increase the likelihood of you building a meditation habit.
To further keep the experience fresh, new meditations are added frequently. Just pop over to the “Catalog” tab to see what’s new and download new content.
How is a meditation program different than, say, a meditation video I can find online?
The main difference lies in the personalisation and variety of the meditation program.
Aside from the thematic variations and prompt differences between each session which we explained in the previous question, you can further personalise your experience through the “Settings” icon on the bottom right of the Meditation program screen. This allows you to change the following characteristics, in a similar fashion to the breathing exercises we explained above:
- Pace – This determines how much “space” the instructor will give you between prompts. You might want to select a slower pace if you are a more advanced user, or a faster pace if you experience troubles keeping your mind focused on the meditation during your practice.
- Length – This affects the overall length of the meditation session. You can choose to have a longer or shorter session depending on available time and mood.
How often should I meditate?
This is a highly subjective topic depending on a variety of factors (e.g. stress levels, meditation objectives, etc.) so it is ultimately up to you and there is no wrong answer.
Our recommendation is to start with a quick daily session, maybe before bed or just after waking up, and go from there. Ultimately, you might settle on a twice-daily meditation routine with a breathing exercise after lunch, or you might just stay at one session per day.
How can the habit tracker help me with my practice?
The habit tracker helps you visualise your meditation practice, showing the “hot” times for meditation and breathing exercises over the past week. Below it, the list of recent sessions also gives you an indication of your mood after exercise completion.
You can use this information to schedule a time where your mind reacts best to the meditation practice (i.e. when your mood is more “positive” after a session) and start building your habit from there.
Meanwhile, our team is working hard on improving the functionality and usefulness of this feature, with the goal of predicting the best times and the best programs for your practice automatically.
If you have any suggestions on this feature, please do not hesitate to contact us as we would love to hear from you about how you use it and how you would like to see it improved.
Can I use Quietness alongside other meditation apps, such as Headspace and Calm?
Of course! We believe that the use of any meditation app or technique does not preclude you from using other apps or techniques that work for you. Ultimately, what’s important is that you feel better every day.
Each app has its own sets of features and therefore might work better for your practice (alone or in combination with other apps and techniques).
Our goal is to help you construct a healthy routine by providing a fresh and highly customisable experience using meditations, visualisations and breathing exercises, reducing the boredom of repetition while keeping its usefulness in habit building.
What is Quietness Premium?
Quietness Premium is a subscription service which gives you full access to the whole content catalog for a low monthly fee.
As a special launch event for Quietness, everybody gets the benefits of Premium for FREE until April 30th, 2019.
Premium subscribers will always have access to the latest content, and might also receive new Quietness features earlier than free users.
For more information and to try some Premium content for free, head over to the Premium page.
I need help with the app. How do I get in touch?
We hope the Help Center can be of use in this case.
If not, please contact us and we will strive to get back to you within 2 business days.
I have some feedback about the app. How can I send it over?
The best way to leave feedback on the Quietness app is within the app itself.
You may do so by selecting the menu on the top left of the homepage and using the “Feedback” option.